History of Barfield Baptist Church
Barfield Baptist Church was organized by Reverend I. A. Halley, Pastor of the Murfreesboro Baptist Church in September of 1898 in the Barfield community. The doors of the church were opened Thursday, September 8th to receive members upon their Profession of Faith in Christ and their promise to follow Him in Baptism. On September 9th, the doors were opened once again to receive new members. At this meeting, Brother R. D. Jameson was elected as Deacon and Brother Ottis Gamewell as Church Clerk. The first week of activity at the new church came to a close with an impressive Baptismal service at Stones River on Sunday, September 11th. The church also received other members at the Sunday evening service.
The next recorded conference of Barfield Baptist Church was held on April 6th, 1902. At this conference, the date of May 4th was set for the dedication of the new building. The dedication address was delivered by Brother J. C. Midgett. Brother J. A. Carlton led in prayer and Brother J. D. Smith delivered an impressive message to the church.
Bro Billy Helton’s grandfather, Houston Lovvorn, was Treasurer and would ride on horseback Saturday mornings trying to collect enough money to pay the preacher on Sunday.
Sometime later, an addition was built on the back of the building providing more room for the choir. The church family continued to grow, and in November 1944, it was voted to build four rooms onto the original building. The rooms were finished in the spring of 1945. The men of the church did the work.
Barfield Baptist Church continued to grow to the extent that in 1949, under the leadership of Brother Loeonard Arbuckle, it was deemed wise to begin full time services. In 1952, the church launched an extensive building program. Ten Sunday school rooms were added under the leadership of J. V. Braswell. In 1961 or 1962, the church built a parsonage across the road from the church. Brother Robert Lemay was the first pastor to live in the new parsonage.
In 1971, Brother Greely Davenport was pastor. The inside of the church was remodeled and new pews were purchased with some of the members purchasing pews in memory of their loved ones.
Brother W. F. Oakley was pastor when the baptistery was installed. Again on July 31, 1977, another ground breaking was held for a new addition, giving the church four more Sunday school rooms, two rest rooms and an enlarged auditorium. In 1984, with Brother Dave Brown as pastor, improvements were made to the sound system and new carpet was installed.
A new steeple was added in 1998 after a tornado damaged the old one. In December of that year, Brother Ron Byers was called as pastor. A side room was remodeled to add more seating to the auditorium in August of 2000. Brother Ron Byers was called as Barfield’s full time pastor in April 2001. A new larger sound system was added in August of 2001, and the auditorium was painted.
In August of 2003, the A.W.A.N.A. program for our children began. In July 2004, ground breaking for a new auditorium, nurseries, office space, and foyer was held. In June 2008, two more Sunday school rooms were added and the Fellowship Hall painted.
In November of 2012, Jerry Todd was called as Music Director. In April of 2013, Matthew Anderson was called as Youth Minister.